50263: Introduction to Microsoft Business Intelligence from SQL 2008 through SharePoint and Office 2007 (5 Days)
About this Course
This instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to develop Microsoft End-to-End business solutions using SQL Server 2008 in an integrated environment with SharePoint and Office 2007. The course introduces the students to Microsoft Unified Data Model, SQL 2008 Analysis Services, Integration Services, Reporting Services, Report Builder 2.0, SharePoint 2007 Integration, Reporting Services Content Types, Business Data Catalog, and Business Intelligence with Excel 2007 and Visio 2007.
This course is intended for DBAs, Developers and Business Intelligence Professionals seeking an introduction to the Microsoft BI Stack whether for new or existing projects or migration to the Microsoft environment.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- A working knowledge of RDBMS
- A working knowledge of Business Intelligence Studio
- A working knowledge of Excel and the Office Ribbon
- Understanding of the goals of Business Intelligence
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the Microsoft Business Intelligence stack.
- Explain the Unified Dimension Model and when it can and cannot be used.
- Use the new Business Intelligence Features in SQL 2008.
- Create a SSAS Project using the Microsoft Unified Dimension Model.
- Create a Data Mart using Business Intelligence Studio.
- Create a Integration Services project and load a Data Mart.
- Load a Data Mart from a flat file.
- Model Dimensions, Measures and Cubes.
- Learn The basics of MDX query language.
- Understand the pros and cons of Integration into SharePoint.
- Create a Report using Report Builder 3.0.
- Load and Manage Reports with SharePoint.
- Create Report Subscriptions in SharePoint.
- Create and customize the SharePoint Report Center.
- Realize the importance of and customize SharePoint Content Types.
- Explain the differences in workflows in SharePoint.
- Understand and Create a Shared Service Provider in SharePoint.
- Understand and Create a Business Data Catalog in SharePoint.
- Utilize the Business Intelligence add-ins for Excel 2007.
Module 1: Overview Of the Microsoft BI Stack
- The Goal of Business Intelligence
- SQL 2008 Business Intelligence Platform
- Integration Services
- Analysis Services
- Reporting Services
- SharePoint Report Center
- Multidimensional Space Terminology
- SharePoint 2007 Terminology
- Tools for Developers and Users
- Business Intelligence Project Skill Sets Required
- Business Intelligence Life Cycle
Lab : Introduction To The Stack Tools
- Explore the toolsets
Module 2: Unified Data Model
- UDM Vision
- Problems UDM addresses
- Situations in which the UDM is inappropriate
Lab : Unified Data Model
- Create a Data Source
- Create a Data View
- Create, process, deploy and browse a cube
- Proactive Cache
Module 3: SQL Server Integration Services
- Major Components
- Practice: Import Wizard, DtwTypeConverssion.xml
- New or changed features
- Script task
- Practice: Script Task
- Change Data Capture
- Data Profiling Task and Viewer
- Practice: Data Profiler and Viewer
- SSIS Connection Project
- Practice: Connection Project
- Extract Transform Load
- Best Practices for Deployment
- Advanced Features of Packages
- Practice: Logging
- Practice: Work with Transactions and Checkpoints
- Best Practices for Design
Lab : SQL Server Integration Services
- Create a SSIS Project in BIDS
- Create and implement several data flows
- Load data via a SQL statement
Module 4: SQL Server Analysis Server
- Multidimensional Space
- Practice: Explore Measures
- Practice: Create an unnatural hierarchy
- Special Dimensions, Time and Slowly Changing
- Cube Processing
- Proactive Caching
- Practice: Monitoring Aggregations
- SSAS 2008 Enhancements
Lab : SQL Server Analysis Server
- Define an OLAP Cube
- Working with Measures and Measure Groups
- Time and Hierarchies
- Relating Dimensions
- Build Deploy and Browse the Cube
Module 5: MDX Query Language
- Select Statement
- Where Clause
- Partial Tuples
- Limiting Sets
- Working With Time
Lab : MDX Query Language
- Cell Properties
- Partial Tuples
- Time Based Results
Module 6: SQL Server Reporting Services
- Integration with SharePoint
- Report Processing and Rendering
- Report Authoring
- Practice: Prepare SharePoint for Reporting Services
- Data Access
- Practice: Create Shared Data Sources
- Data Sets
- Practice: Create Datasets, Add a report Parameter
- Semantic Models
- Practice: Create a Report Model. Modify and Deploy the Model and Design a report based on the model
- Geospatial Data
Lab : SQL Server Reporting Services
- Use BIDS to Create a OLAP Report
- Report Builder 3.0
Module 7: SharePoint Server 2007
- SharePoint Terminology
- Practice: Create a Portal
- Content Types
- Practice: Create a Content Type
- Web Parts
- Practice: Create a web page and add web parts
- Data Connection Libraries
- Shared Service Provider
- Report Center
- Key Performance Indicators
- Practice: KPIs
Lab : SharePoint Server 2007
- Create a Repot Center
- Configure Report Integration
- Create Data Connection
- Create Report Library
- Create Subscriptions
Module 8: SharePoint Business Data Catalog
- Why the BDC
- BDC Web Parts
- Application Definition Files
- Authentication and Security
Lab : SharePoint Business Data Catalog
- Use a BDC Application
- Use the BDC Web Parts
Module 9: SharePoint Excel Services
- Excel on the Server
- Using Excel Services
- Trusted File Locations
- Excel Web Service
- Excel Web Access
- Excel Calculation Service
Lab : SharePoint Excel Services
- Create a User Defined Function
- Retrieve A Value From A Workbook
- Deploy A Web Part To Use EWS
Module 10: Data Mining and Excel
- Notable Uses OF Data Mining
- Key Terms
- Types Of Data Mining Algorithms
- The Microsoft Implementations OF The Algorithms
- Excel and The BI Extensions
Lab : Data Mining and Excel
- Utilize The Excel Data Mining Tools
E-Tek is an authorized Prometric testing center, offering official Microsoft certification exams at its Secaucus, New Jersey (NJ) location.