QuarkXPress® 8: Level 1
Course number: 084925
Course length: 1.0 day
Course Objective: You will use QuarkXPress 8 to set up and lay out single-page and multiple-page documents.
Target Student: This course is intended for professional and prospective layout designers and technicians with no experience using QuarkXPress, who need to learn to use QuarkXPress to lay out publications. They have basic word processing skills and may already use Illustrator and Photoshop.
Prerequisites: Before taking this course, students should be familiar with the basic functions of their computer's operating system. They should also have basic word processing skills, such as copying and pasting text, formatting type, and so on.
- A Pentium®-based Windows-compatible computer.
- A CD-ROM drive.
- At least 128 MB of available RAM.
- At least 190 MB of hard disk space for QuarkXPress 8.0 installation, and an additional 10 MB for course data.
- An active Internet connection with Microsoft Internet Explorer version 3.0 or later, or Netscape Navigator version 3.0 or later.
Each computer requires the following software:
- QuarkXPress® 8.0.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- get started with a QuarkXPress® project.
- add text and graphics to a layout.
- typeset text in a QuarkXPress layout.
- create tables to present text and graphics in a layout.
- enhance the appearance of content in a layout.
- finalize a document for output.
Lesson 1: Getting Started with a QuarkXPress® Project
Topic 1A: Explore the QuarkXPress® Interface
Topic 1B: Set Up a Layout
Lesson 2: Adding Content to a Layout
Topic 2A: Add Text
Topic 2B: Place Graphics
Lesson 3: Typesetting
Topic 3A: Flow Text
Topic 3B: Format Paragraphs
Topic 3C: Use Style Sheets
Lesson 4: Presenting Text and Graphics in Tables
Topic 4A: Create Tables
Topic 4B: Modify Tables
Lesson 5: Enhancing a Layout
Topic 5A: Apply Colors
Topic 5B: Set Item Properties
Topic 5C: Check Spelling
Topic 5D: Arrange Items
Topic 5E: Convert Text to Boxes
Lesson 6: Finalizing a Document for Output
Topic 6A: Check Usage of Assets
Topic 6B: Export a Layout
Topic 6C: Print a Layout
Topic 6D: Collect for Output