Course Objective:You will create, format, edit, and distribute publications.
Target Student:This course is intended for persons with a basic understanding of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Word who need to learn how to use Microsoft® Publisher 2010 to create, layout, and edit publications.
Prerequisites:Students should be familiar with using personal computers and have used a mouse and keyboard (basic typing skills are recommended). They should be comfortable in the Windows environment and be able to use Windows to manage information on their computers. Specifically, they should be able to launch and close programs; navigate to information stored on the computer; and manage files and folders. To ensure success, we recommend that students first take one of the following Element K’s introductory courses, or have equivalent knowledge and skills.
- Windows XP Professional: Level 1
- Windows XP Professional: Level 2
- Windows 7: Level 1
For this course, you will need one computer for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following minimum hardware configuration:
- 1 GHz Pentium-class processor or faster
- Minimum 256 MB of RAM. (512 MB of RAM is recommended)
- 10 GB hard disk space or more
- A floppy-disk drive
- A CD-ROM drive
- A mouse or other pointing device
- An 1024 x 768 resolution monitor
- Network cards and cabling for local network access
- Internet access (contact your local network administrator)
- A printer or an installed printer driver
- A projection system to display the instructor's computer screen
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft® Office Professional Plus Edition 2010
- Print driver
- Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 9.0 or higher
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- get familiar with the Publisher 2010 environment and start working on a publication.
- modify the layout and structure of a publication.
- format text in a publication.
- edit the contents in a publication.
- format graphics in a publication.
- prepare a publication for distribution.
- Topic 1A:Identify the Components of the Publisher Interface
- Topic 1B:Customize the Publisher Interface
- Topic 1C:Create a Basic Publication
- Topic 1D:Add Content to a Publication
- Topic 2A:Import Text into a Publication
- Topic 2B:Organize Text Boxes and Picture Placeholders in a Layout
- Topic 2C:Control the Display of Content in Text Boxes
- Topic 2D:Insert Common Layout Elements
- Topic 2E:Use Building Blocks
- Topic 3A:Format Text
- Topic 3B:Format Paragraphs
- Topic 3C:Apply Paragraph Styles
- Topic 3D:Apply Schemes
- Topic 4A:Edit Text in a Publication
- Topic 4B:Present Content in Tables
- Topic 4C:Review Text in a Publication
- Topic 4D:Insert Symbols and Special Characters
- Topic 5A:Customize the Appearance of Pictures
- Topic 5B:Add Graphical Objects to a Publication
- Topic 6A:Check the Design of a Publication
- Topic 6B:Save a Publication for Distribution
- Topic 6C:Preview and Print a Publication
- Topic 6D:Send a Publication by Email
- Publisher 2010