084481-Microsoft® Office Access™ 2007: Level 1
Most organizations maintain and manage large amounts of information. One of the most efficient and powerful ways of managing data is by using relational databases. Information can be stored, linked, and managed using a single relational database application and its associated tools. In this course, you will examine the basic database concepts, and create and modify databases and their various objects using the Microsoft® Office Access™ 2007 relational database application.
You will create and modify new databases and their various objects.
This course is designed for students who wish to learn the basic operations of the Microsoft Access Database program to perform their day-to-day responsibilities, and to understand the advantages that using a relational database program can bring to their business processes. The Level 1 course is for the individual whose job responsibilities include designing and creating new databases, tables, and relationships; creating and maintaining records; locating records; and producing reports based on the information in the database. It also provides the fundamental knowledge and techniques needed to advance to more complex Access responsibilities such as maintaining databases and using programming techniques that enhance Access applications.
To ensure the successful completion of Microsoft Office Access 2007: Level 1, completion of one of the following Element K courses or equivalent knowledge from another source is recommended:
- Windows 2000: Introduction
- Windows XP: Introduction
- Windows XP: Level 1
- Windows XP: Level 2
Instructor-led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured hands-on activities.
This course is one of a series of Element K courseware titles that addresses Microsoft Office Specialist (Office Specialist) skill sets. The Office Specialist program is for individuals who use Microsoft’s business desktop software and who seek recognition for their expertise with specific Microsoft products. Certification candidates must pass one or more proficiency exams in order to earn Office Specialist certification.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- examine the basic database concepts and explore the Microsoft Office Access 2007 environment.
- design a simple database.
- build a new database with related tables.
- manage the data in a table.
- query a database using different methods.
- design forms.
- generate reports.
Lesson 1: Exploring the Access Environment
- Topic 1A: Examine Database Concepts
- Topic 1B: Explore the User Interface
- Topic 1C: Explore the Ribbon
- Topic 1D: Customize the Access Environment
- Topic 1E: Obtain Help
- Topic 1F: Use an Existing Access Database
Lesson 2: Designing a Database
- Topic 2A: Describe the Relational Database Design Process
- Topic 2B: Define Database Purpose
- Topic 2C: Review Existing Data
- Topic 2D: Determine Fields
- Topic 2E: Group Fields into Tables
- Topic 2F: Normalize Data
- Topic 2G: Designate Primary and Foreign Keys
- Topic 2H: Determine Table Relationships
Lesson 3: Building a Database
- Topic 3A: Create a New Database
- Topic 3B: Create a Table
- Topic 3C: Manage Tables
- Topic 3D: Create a Table Relationship
Lesson 4: Managing Data in a Table
- Topic 4A: Modify Table Data
- Topic 4B: Sort Records
- Topic 4C: Work with Subdatasheets
Lesson 5: Querying a Database
- Topic 5A: Filter Records
- Topic 5B: Create a Query
- Topic 5C: Add Criteria to a Query
- Topic 5D: Add a Calculated Field to a Query
- Topic 5E: Perform Calculations on a Record Grouping
Lesson 6: Designing Forms
- Topic 6A: View Data Using an Access Form
- Topic 6B: Create a Form
- Topic 6C: Create a Form Using the Form Wizard
- Topic 6D: Modify the Design of a Form
Lesson 7: Generating Reports
- Topic 7A: View an Access Report
- Topic 7B: Create a Report
- Topic 7C: Create a Report Using the Report Wizard
- Topic 7D: Add a Custom Calculated Field to a Report
- Topic 7E: Format the Controls in a Report
- Topic 7F: Apply an AutoFormat to a Report
- Topic 7G: Prepare a Report for Print
*E-Tek is an authorized Prometric testing center, offering official Microsoft certification exams at its Secaucus, New Jersey (NJ) location.