2520: Deploying Microsoft Windows XP Professional (1 Day)
About this Course
This course provides the tools and knowledge needed to plan and deploy Microsoft Windows XP Professional in medium to large-sized organizations. Through lecture and labs, students will learn to: explain the various methods that are available to deploy Windows XP Professional; deploy Windows XP Professional by using answer files and Remote Installation Services(RIS); prepare a computer for imaging; and upgrade client computers to Windows XP Professional by using Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 and software distribution by using Group Policy.
This one-day course is designed for software deployment specialists working for Microsoft Certified Partners, and IT administration and support professionals responsible for the planning and deployment of desktop operating systems in medium to large-size organizations. The typical Windows XP deployment managed by these individuals will range from 25-250desktops per installation, but may vary.
At Course Completion
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Explain the various methods and identify the technologies that are available to deploy Windows XP Professional.
- Deploy Windows XP Professional by using answer files.
- Prepare a computer for imaging.
- Deploy Windows XP Professional by using Remote Installation Services.
- Automate an upgrade of Windows XP Professional.
Module 1: Introduction to Deploying Windows XP Professional
- Deployment Methods
- Deployment Considerations
At the end of this module, you will understand and be able to describe the various methods to deploy Windows XP Professional.
Module 2: Deploying Windows XP Professional Using Answer Files
- Introduction to Answer Files and UDFs
- Creating an Answer File
- Configuring Additional Answer File Parameters
- Creating a UDF
- Performing an Automated Installation of Windows XP Professional
At the end of this module, you will be able to create an answer file by using the Windows Setup Manager Wizard and automate an installation of Windows XP Professional.
Module 3: Preparing a Computer for Imaging
- Introduction to Imaging
- Preparing a Reference Computer
- Preparing the Hard Disk by Running the System Preparation Tool
- Creating and Deploying an Image
- Testing an Image
At the end of this module, you will be able to use the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe) to prepare a computer to be imaged.
Module 4: Deploying Windows XP Professional Using Remote Installation Services
- Introduction to Remote Installation Services
- Configuring Remote Installation Services
- Configuring Remote Installation Options
- Modifying the Installation of a CD-based Image
- Selecting an RIS Image Type
- Creating an Remote Installation Preparation Image
- Deploying Windows XP Professional Using RIS
At the end of this module, you will be able to use Remote Installation Services to deploy Windows XP Professional.
Module 5: Deploying an Upgrade of Windows XP Professional
- Introduction to Upgrade Methods
- Deploying an Upgrade Package Using Group Policy
- Upgrading to Windows XP Professional Using Systems Management Server
At the end of this module, you will be able to deploy Windows XP Professional by using Group Policy and Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0.